AMCTO is pleased to release a new research paper, Bearing the Burden: An Overview of Municipal Reporting to the Province. For years municipalities in Ontario have been straining under the range of reporting that they are required to submit to the province. This paper provides an overview of the municipal reporting burden in Ontario. Its goal is to provoke a conversation about how to reimagine the reporting relationship between municipalities and the province. Key findings of the reporting include:
- Reporting negatively impacts service delivery and prevents municipalities from innovating and preparing for the future
- Reporting is excessive and onerous
- The purpose of reporting is often unclear
- Municipal-provincial reporting is highly fragmented
- Municipalities think reporting is important
Read this report here.