Yesterday the government introduced the Promoting Affordable Housing Act, which if passed would amend four pieces of provincial legislation by:
- Giving municipalities the option of implementing inclusionary zoning
- Making secondary suites in new homes less costly, by exempting them from development charges
- Providing local service managers more flexibility to administer and deliver social housing
- Reforming tenant rights to prevent unnecessary evictions from social housing, and modernizing how rental property standards are enforced
- Requiring Service Managers to conduct local enumeration to count people who are homeless in their communities
The introduction of this bill comes two months after the government updated the Long-term Affordable Housing Strategy.