After months of consultation, the government has approved new regulations for the towing sector that are designed to crack-down on fraud. The new regulations will enter into effect on January 1, 2017 and require towing providers to:
- Have permission from the consumer or someone acting on their behalf before towing or storing a vehicle
- Publicly disclose rates and other information such as the provider’s name and telephone number on tow trucks as well as in places of business
- Accept credit card payments from consumers (and not insist on cash only)
- Notify consumers where their vehicle will be towed
- Allow consumers to access their towed vehicles to remove personal property at no charge
- Give consumers an itemized invoice listing the services provided and costs before receiving payment
- Disclose if they are getting a financial incentive for towing a vehicle to a particular vehicle storage facility or repair shop.